Pride Resource Partners LLC (Pride) is a high-performance, professional project management consulting firm that is a certified LGBT-owned diverse business enterprise. We provide integrated, scalable approaches to augment project management capabilities for mid-sized and large companies as well as municipal, county, and state agencies. We support our clientele in executing on their program and project delivery goals by offering expertise in program and project management, construction management, and technical resourcing solutions.
Our targeted consulting expertise moves clients from strategy to execution to results by providing them with skilled professionals, teams of project leaders, and subject matter experts who manage and implement our clients’ critical-infrastructure projects.
We are proud of our successes— both in terms of executing our contracts with an impeccable record of safety, quality, security, and environmental compliance, and in terms of successfully growing in a few short years from a diverse micro-business (MB) enterprise to a sustainable, diverse small business (SB) enterprise. Since our inception in 2015, noteworthy events include:
- Pride was founded in 2015 by CEO Joe Maak, with headquarters in San Diego, California
- In 2015, Pride joined the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, a national advocacy organization dedicated to expanding economic opportunities for the LGBT business community
- Pride joined the San Diego Equality Business Association in 2015 and continues participation year after year with corporate sponsorship and participation on the board; the SDEBA is a regional advocacy group dedicated to diversity and expanding opportunities for LGBTQ and allied businesses
- In 2016, Pride received the Pioneer Award for Excellence—an award that recognizes the highest standard of excellence in service in the electric utility sector—from San Diego Gas & Electric, a division of Sempra Energy
- Pride joined the distinguished list of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies in the American economy when Inc. Magazine announced that Pride was one of the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies for 2019
- Recognizing the benefits of working together to green the electric utility industry supply chain, Pride joined the Electric Utility Industry Sustainable Supply Chain Alliance in 2020
- By our five-year anniversary in October 2020, Pride had grown to over 60 full-time employees in Southern California, Northern California, Idaho, and Michigan
- In 2021, Pride celebrated the signing of contracts with all major investor-owned utilities in California, achieving a goal that we set for ourselves when the company was founded
We recruit our workforce in alignment with our commitment to diversity. The inclusion of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives creates a culture of empowerment, one that fosters innovation, economic growth, and new ideas. Pride’s work culture focuses on:
- Safety, quality, and value
- Giving back to the community
- Diversity and openness
- Excellence and professional growth
- Work–life balance
Motivated to be the best-in-class for our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve, Pride values:
- People — We put people first, and we thrive on diversity and integrity
- Reliability — Our quality is proven in our commitment to excellence
- Integration — Collaborative by design, our clients’ goals become our goals
- Drive — We advance innovative solutions to achieve desired results
- Efficiency — We are dedicated to and promote continuous improvement
“Great company culture with a management team that genuinely cares about growing smart. They’ve figured out synergy between satisfied clients and happy employees, and I’ve never had a better work/life balance in my professional history.”— Anonymous Employee
Pride in Our People
Pride is comprised of a diverse cadre of versatile, dedicated, and knowledgeable subject matter experts with decades of experience in capital projects, construction management, telecommunications, commercial development, strategic planning, and critical infrastructure projects. The diversity of our team at all levels of the organization both enhances operations and leads to diversity and innovation in the solutions we provide for our clients.
Our team brings extensive program, project, and construction management experience along with a proven track record of successfully executing critical infrastructure projects. Pride’s leadership team is also heavily integrated within the communities we serve by way of board and committee appointments at organizations throughout San Diego. Our participation on both the San Diego Equality Business Association and the Mayor’s LGBT Advisory Committee affords Pride the opportunity to be at the front line of critical decision-making that impacts our communities and our clients.
Cost Accounting ManagerLearn More
Proposal Center ManagerLearn More
Strategic Outreach ManagerLearn More
Director of Project ControlsLearn More
Operations ManagerLearn More
Director of Business DevelopmentLearn More
General ManagerLearn More
Shawna Eddington is a cost accounting manager with over 12 years of experience in the accounting field. She leads a team that supports Pride’s utility clientele by reviewing invoices against the client’s current open contract to make sure that the invoices are accurate, contractually compliant, and SOX compliant. Shawna is a goal-oriented employee who has great time management skills and takes pride in her work.
Michele Finkel leads Pride’s proposal center of excellence. She has over 25 years of experience in proposal management, technical editing, and writing. Michele works interdepartmentally to achieve on-time and high-quality delivery, managing proposals under tight deadlines. Her contributions at Pride have included establishing and documenting new procedures, developing tools including macros and templates, improving processes to increase efficiency and to enhance communication, and ensuring that Pride’s proposals are both compliant and responsive to our clients’ needs. Michele’s role at Pride also encompasses technical writing and editing as well as marketing communications.
As a project manager and outreach specialist for Pride, Shabnam Karimi is well-versed in communication strategy, public affairs, and community engagement. She has over 15 years of experience with project management, outreach strategy, customer relations, wildfire mitigation outreach, government relations, and community outreach. Having served as a government liaison in multiple previous roles, Shabnam currently supports one of Pride’s electric utility clients as an outreach specialist and government relations liaison. She excels in project management and strategic planning, developing, and implementing project communications plans, coordinating public notifications, managing customer conflict resolution including sensitive customer relations, and coordinating with private entities, tribal, local, state, and federal jurisdictions. Shabnam also spearheads marketing communications efforts for Pride, leveraging her experience in speech writing, public education campaigns, and working with media.
Founder and CEO Joe Maak has led Pride in growing our clientele to include all four California investor-owned electric utilities, SoCalGas, Facebook, California American Water, and more. He has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, San Diego Business Journal, and CNBC discussing Pride’s success and remarkable growth. In 1989, Joe moved from Germany to Illinois to get a master’s degree in instructional technology and methodology. He then worked in urban planning and development, eventually moving to San Diego in 1997 to pursue a master’s degree in architecture. In San Diego, Joe oversaw over 150 projects related to capital project management, construction management, and logistics for utilities, colleges, private enterprises, and aerospace. In 2006, Joe became a US citizen. Through mentoring small/DBE companies, providing educational scholarships, and more, Joe leads Pride with an emphasis on giving back to the community to “pay it forward” for the support he had in becoming a US citizen and successful entrepreneur.
Mike McShea, Pride’s Director of Project Controls, leads and manages the complete service delivery for Pride’s project controls service contracts for California IOU clientele. Mike has more than 14 years of experience in all aspects of project controls for major utility infrastructure capital programs and projects including EPC projects. Specializing in project scheduling and cost engineering, he has been accountable for schedule development/review, time-phased spread of man-hours, calculation of project progress, productivity, cash-flow generation, project forecasting, internal financials, and schedule performance on numerous engineering and construction projects. Additionally, he has several years’ experience building and developing project controls teams including teams of scheduling, cost engineering, and document controls specialists. Mike’s responsibilities have included staff management/development, reporting and analytics, risk analysis, change order management, estimate preparation, and schedule maintenance.
Valerie Perez has more than 17 years of experience as an administrative and accounting professional spanning the project management, healthcare, and retail industries. She is solution focused, detail oriented, and agile with excellent analytical, organizational, and recordkeeping skills. As Office Coordinator with Pride, Valerie is responsible for payroll, invoicing, event planning, company culture development and employee engagement, social media management, and facilitating the daily needs of clients, team members, and upper management alike. Her aptitude for creative problem solving enables her to project the most beneficial and appropriate plans of action while streamlining processes and coordinating operations effectively and efficiently.
Denis Sanford, Business Development Director at Pride, has over 30 years of experience in developing and managing infrastructure capital projects in the utilities, oil, and gas industries, including procurement, planning, design, commissioning, start-up, and electric inspection. He has successfully managed and executed a portfolio of projects valued at over $20 billion, including overhead and underground distribution, transmission, wood-to-steel pole replacement, substation greenfield and rebuilds, battery storage, synchronous condensers, infrastructure relocation, and interconnection installations. Denis is an innovator in R&D and efforts towards improvements in wildfire mitigation initiatives with California utility companies. Denis is also an advisory member for CEATI and an affiliate member of the Electric Utility Industry Sustainable Supply Chain Alliance (EUISSCA), organizations which focus on innovative ways to improve the US electrical infrastructure and the sustainability of its supply chain, respectively.
Brian Telesmanic, General Manager at Pride, has over 20 years of experience in all phases of energy infrastructure and facility capital project management. He has extensive experience in the utilities sector, in which he has made major contributions on a portfolio of projects valued at over $3 billion. Brian has successfully managed and executed large and small-scale capital projects, consistently meeting deadlines, budget targets, quality, environmental and safety standards. He has direct involvement and management experience in organizing and managing key stakeholders and resources on multibillion-dollar programs and projects, including the development, planning, design, budgeting, scheduling, safety, quality, procurement, permitting, construction, commissioning, and start-up of capital projects. Brian has successfully managed the delivery of multiple professional service contracts for California IOU clientele in his capacity as General Manager at Pride, providing guidance and ensuring the overall health of the programs.
Our high-performance, professional project management consulting services are backed by numerous certifications, memberships, and industry trainings.
With our experienced and knowledgeable staff, we excel in supporting the successful execution of critical infrastructure projects while helping our regulated utility clients meet and exceed supplier diversity goals. Pride is the premier CPUC-certified, LGBT-owned, professional project management consultancy organization within California’s regulated utility space, and our regulated utility clients can claim 100% of their expenditures with Pride as qualified LGBTQ DBE spending.
We are also certified as a Small Local Business Enterprise (SLBE) with the City of San Diego and as a Small Business with the State of California. As a small firm, we are agile and flexible to serve our clients’ interests.
Diverse business enterprise
- LGBTBE DBE: certified as an LGBT Business Enterprise, Diverse Business Enterprise through the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), Utility Supplier Diversity Program
- SB and SB-PW: certified as a Small Business and SB Public Works through the California DGS, Office of SB & DVBE Services (OSDS)
- SLBE: certified as a Small Local Business Enterprise through the City of San Diego, SLBE Program
- LGBTBE: certified as an LGBT Business Enterprise through the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC)
- Veriforce compliant (member, Veriforce Compliance & Trainings Solutions)
- ISNetworld “A” rating
- OSHA 5119 – CAL/OSHA Standards for the General Industry (UCSD) San Diego
- OSHA 5109 – CAL/OSHA Standards for the Construction Industry (UCSD) San Diego
- Title 49 CFR Part 40 and 382, Controlled Substances & Alcohol Testing Program (CDTA)
- Disposing of Hazardous Wastes (United Technology Aerospace)
- PMI – Project Management Institute
- IFMA – International Facilities Management Association
- CMAA – Construction Management Association of America
- AACE – American Association of Cost Engineering
- Sustainable Supply Chain Management (United Technology Aerospace)
- Export Controls: Military Products (ITAR) (United Technology Aerospace)
- Export Controls: Commercial and Military Products (BIS) (United Technology Aerospace)
- Export Compliance and International Travel (United Technology Aerospace)
Licensure + Registrations
- Class A and B: Class A and B contractor, licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB), license #1068236
- Real estate: licensed by the California Department of Real Estate, license number 01723328
- A Limited Liability Corporation: registered with the California Secretary of State, file number 201527910362
- City business registration: a registered business in the City of San Diego, number 2016000503
- Dun & Bradstreet: DUNS number 080029760